Thursday, October 17, 2013

How to get your pet parent to unplug



Life as Toby the Dog's eyes....
Photo Source: TheOriginalTeamToby.com  Photographer: Ealanta Photography

I don’t know about you but I don’t like it when my pet mom goes on to the computer to do her work. I never know if she is writing more books about me, Tweeting, Facebooking or checking her email. 

All I know is that her attention is not on me, I can’t easily get eye contact, and sometimes I notice she needs a break, especially when her computer freezes…. The big sigh is the clue.  

Here’s what I’ve been doing when she goes on to the computer.


  • Nudge her arm gently under the elbow. Then smile that “puppy love” smile. It is a showstopper.

  •  Your pet parent will probably scratch your ears, smile, say “who’s a good boy. Are you a good boy?” (in that “weird voice”) and turn back to the computer.

This is where you need to ramp it up!   

Show your pet parent you are really wanting their attention…. Here’s what works for me. Knock garbage can around, put chin on desk (adorable and gets attention), put a paw on his/her lap. Last resort? Booming bark.

At this point you probably get put on a time out. Or, you pet parent will do what our trainer Gila from Dog is Good is teaching mom and dad. Mom brings up my blanket and some treats (YUM!). 

Then she tells me “On Your Mat Toby.” Of course I go, there’s a treat involved, and I love making my human parents happy.  Then “Toby Settle, Stay.”  Tongue out, big smile, wait… and … I get the treat.  Then she makes it a longer time between treats. Eventually after a few little treats (by the way, she cuts one small treat into little pieces, I am so onto her strategy), I go to sleep. It’s all about getting caught up on sleep so I can play fetch longer when she is done on the computer. Hint…sleep with one eye open just in case your pet parent finishes off on the computer early. You never want to miss fetch time.

Until next time,
Have a PAWsome day!  Help your humans be the person you know they are!
Toby! 
Team Toby is on a mission to Improve Lives by Teaching Kindness, Acceptance and Respect.  To find out about Toby's books, 

      
Toby’s children’s book series (Toby And His Hospital Friends, and, Toby Says Be a Buddy Not a Bully) has been named among the best in family-friendly media, products and services by the Mom’s Choice Awards, a Mom’s Choice Awards® Gold Recipient.
 Don't forget to tune into PAWsitive Radio - All things Pets!

And... Please come and friend me on Social Media:





No comments:

Post a Comment